Re: stainless steel cable [kids' safety, etc.]

If a designer can make things safer they should do so; it may not
cure everything, but it can help. And if it can help even a little it's
worth it.

Very interesting thread.  I imagine everyone's chuckled at the cartoon of the OSHA-approved cowboy on his horse, complete with rollover bar, air bags, turn signals, etc.  At the other extreme we have companies selling heart pacemakers with known deficiencies (talk about people who should be shot!).  But the fact is that we can't force people to be safe--all the seat belt laws in the world won't force people to wear them, or to stop them from putting their kids in the trunk (see today's paper).

Ralph