Re: PS CONCRETE: Torsion in Double-Tees

I'd say the force resisting system is some where in
between the simple bending of the single tee and
torsion of the double tee member.  Whichever mechanism
is more stiff will take the loads.

I'd take a shot at the single tee member and check the
total deflection of the single tee.  Knowing the
differential deflection of one stem to the other stem,
member torsional rotation can be determined and
torsion can be evaluated.  Keep in mind that double
tees are routinely warped during installation so I
don't see torsional rigidity very high.

I?m sure the precast people have some warping
tolerance that can be accommodated without significant
effect on the strength of the double tee.

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ