Re: PS CONCRETE: Torsion in Double-Tees

            Bill,

                        When I started doing precast concrete, I was told that the industry rule-of-thumb is that 25% of any load that looks like it should go to only one stem of a double tee is actually carried by the other. A few years ago I had the opportunity to run load tests on tees for another reason. The deflection measurements (we did not measure strain in the stems or any other more direct indication of load-sharing) indicated this is accurate. How the concrete stresses flow to get the load to the other stem is another issue. My mentor and the tests gave no indication of that.

                        Presumably, there are also flange connections between the loaded tee and the adjacent tee. Some load is shared by that tee’s stems, too.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer