RE: TACOMA NARROW BRIDGE

I will guess:  "Gertie" was a popular (though somewhat jocular) name in past
generations (not currently though). "Galloping Gertie" has an alliteration
(rhyming nature) to it. It rrr-rolls off the tongue.

Of course, it was "galloping" because of the wild bucking motions due to the
wind vortex shedding. Have you seen the movie news reels of the bridge?
Amazing!

   Tom Barsh, P.E.
   Technical Support Engineer
   Codeware Inc