From: Jim Hannah [mailto:jvhannah(--nospam--at)insightbb.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 1:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: TACOMA NARROW BRIDGE

The Tacoma Narrows bridge is located in a relatively windswept channel
near
Tacoma, Washington.  The stiffening girder had the lowest height of
girder
to span of bridge ratios  used up to that time.  The wind speed and
force
were close to a harmonic point of the bridge structure.  The structure
was
excited and collapsed.  On the internet you can find some video or mpeg
files which show the last minutes of the bridge's life.  A study was
being
undertaken to determine how to stiffen the bridge.  Cameras were focused
on
the bridge at the time of collapse.  Thus quite a bit of visual info is
available.  There were under bridge stays which proved inadequate.   The
side to side twist and up and down rotation of the road surface was
impressive.  As I understand the only casualty of the collapse was a dog
in
a car that was abandoned on the bridge.  Search with Google or Yahoo and
the
video is easy to find.  The bridge started "galloping" while under
construction and was just finished when it collapsed.  A new stiffer
bridge
was rebuilt.

Jim Hannah