RE: "black box" software was: L-Pile Analysis

I designed a 90 story building in seismic zone 4 utilizing non-linear push over analysis with a single #2 pencil and 3 pages of engineering paper (front side only). Took me like half an hour and never even used the eraser on the pencil. Inverting 6000x6000 matrices is a piece of cake, you just gotta write small… I had etabs NL, but I said “hey, let’s see if the old dog still has it” … so I guess I don’t have to close down shop.

-gm

-----Original Message-----
From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: "black box" software was: L-Pile Analysis

From: Tom Barsh @ Codeware [mailto:tom(--nospam--at)codeware.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 2:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: "black box" software was: L-Pile Analysis

Here's an interesting article titled "is it ethical to use an engineering software program to solve a problem if you cannot complete the calculations manually":  (see page 17)

http://www..texasce.org/docs/TCE_WebSummer05p14-21.pdf

Without having read the article cited--as a dues-paying member of Texas ASCE, I reserve (nay, "relish") the right to ignore anything they have to say--I wonder how they define "inability to complete the calculations manually."

I would suggest that if you are an engineer who "cannot complete manual calculations," you must have been socially promoted. I flatter myself that there's nothing I could not do, or learn to do, in the realm of structural design given sufficient time and appropriate resource materials.

However, I'm certainly not about to do a hand-calc indeterminate frame analysis when Visual Analysis is so much quicker and easier. That has nothing to do with whether I CAN do it, but whether I CHOOSE to "waste the time" doing it.