Re: Wood-frame construction: Life in the real world

Gary,

You have hit the nail on the head (pun definitely intended) when it
comes to an issue/problem with nails...the definition of a penny nail.  In
reality, you need to know more than just the "penny" but also the type (i.e.
common, sinker, etc).  This is a problem that I have run into.  Just
calling for an 16d (i.e. 16 "penny") nail does not give enough information
to know the size (diameter and length) of that nail.  A 16d sinker is
different than a 16d common.  So, we (the company that I do some work for)
have found that is easier/better to call out the diameter and length (and
potentially head style if using gun nails...i.e. some gun nails have "D"
shaped heads) of the nail to be used.  Even taking this route, the
contractor could still get confused...i.e. you call out a diameter and
length, yet the contractor is used to "penny" designations so s/he wonders
what "penny" nail you want.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI