Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: Wood-frame construction: Life in the real world

Thor,

The link that you provided is useful, but it does gloss over the fact that
not all "penny" nails meet those lengths.  A 16d sinker is NOT 3.5" long
as that chart would indicate but is rather 3.25" long (unless I am
remembering incorrectly).  By an large the penny designation does give
length of the nail, but not always.  And the penny designation gives
NOTHING about the diameter of the nail...that is entirely a function of
the type of nail (i.e. common wire, box, spike, etc).

The end result is that the designations/definitions of nails are just as
screwed up as I believe you claim screw designations/definitions were (pun
intended).   Thus, like you mentioned in you original post, it is usually
best to specify the diameter and length and not bother with a "penny"
designation.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI