From: Tom Barsh @ Codeware [mailto:tom(--nospam--at)codeware.com]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 11:30 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: VBA to Excel

Excel makes a great quick and dirty user-interface to get information into a program and to display the results. I fell under Microsoft's marketing spell a long time ago and bought their fortran package that came "complete with an interface to Excel!". The box showed a picture of happy engineers watching their fortran results display as nice plotted curves in Excel.

I never did get that thing working, mostly due to my own inadequacies, the amount of time required to get up to speed on that thing was just unavailable to me.

VBA can be slow and rough and inelegant compared to fortran or C but using VBA with Excel as the interface is very simple and can produce great results. You can even use VBA to create input files for batch fortran programs, then read the output files with VBA and import the results into Excel. Makes a nice way to make use of old legacy programs and integrate them together for greater productivity.

   Tom Barsh, P.E.
   Technical Support Engineer
   Codeware Inc
   www.codeware.com