E-Files and Clients....

List,

Our firm does a lot work with the coal mines out here.  Something that is
jumping on our face and wiggling (as opposed to sneaking up on us) is the
sharing of our electronic files, namely our AutoCAD .dwg files.  One
particular client, who is not the contractor mind you, is and has been a
very good client for the company, would likely NOT share these .dwg files,
however, not all clients are the same.  Certainly, this type of information
sharing with certain contractors is NOT a practice I want to get into,
especially with a Design-Bid-Build project, which is predominantly what we
work with.

I am curious as to what others do with electronic file sharing.  Do you NOT
allow .dwg files to leave your office???  Do you NOT share any e-files with
your clients???  And is it different when you are talking Design-Bid-Build
projects as opposed to Design-Build or other methods???

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming