Re: IBC Special inspection for Slab-on-Grade supporting HVAC unit.

Elias,

The reason that there is "very little good information on SOGs" in ACI 318
is that ACI 318 is _NOT_ applicable to SOGs...at least from a legal/code
requirement point of view (nothing prevents you from taking "lessons
learned" from ACI 318 and applying them to SOGs...but ACI 318 as a code or
"the law" does NOT apply to SOGs).  Look at section 1.1.6 (in ACI 318-99
at least).  It states:

"This code does not govern design and construction of soil-supported slabs
(editorial note: aka SOGs), unless the slab transmits vertical loads or
lateral forces from other portions of the structure to the soil."

While that does not answer your question, it should at least explain why
ACI 318 does not give much guidance on the issue.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI