RE: Connections Designing, General Standards? POLL

For simple shear connection I almost always design for
half the capacity of the beam.  JPRiley

----------------------
I am wanting to take a poll.

How many engineers design to the load and how many
engineers design to the member strength?

For instance, if so much shear at a connection is much
lower than shear capacity, how many would still design
to the shear capacity of the beam, and how many would
design only to the requirement of the structure?

Asking, what is general opinion on this matter?

Seems if there is a general design to a member, then
many connections could be prequalified, and there
becomes no real need to go through muliple calcs to
find an adequate connection detail.

Perhaps if the structure is a facility that may
change, ie. have future load changes as in a hospital,
then these pre-connections could be very valuable.
Whereas in a small building, it is better to save on
the connection value.

At the same time, are connections so costly that
designing to the load, versus the member would save so
much?

Regards
Refugio