RE: E-Files and Clients....

Kevin:

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more...

A LOT of time and money goes into the development of CAD structural
details...

That?s why I NEVER give detail sheet dwgs out...

Plan sheets for a specific project are a different matter; it depends on a
lot of factors...I decide that on a case by case basis...it doesn't come up
too much anymore...

Details, that?s another matter.

Example #1:		When we first started and were really naïve, I let
an architect
			Client of mine have all the cad files for a
project...well, it 				turns out the creep CHANGED
several STRUCTURAL details to 			his liking and re-issued the
drawings without my knowledge...

			(he asked me to change them earlier, I refused...)

			I get a call from the field some time later..."hey,
there's a 				problem with a few things on the
site..."

			"really, what did you guys build?"

			"what was on the drawings!"

Example #2:		A long time ago, I gave copies of my CAD detail
sheets to 				another client for another
project...

			A few months later, we were asked to do a peer
review of 				another engineer's design...a
competitor of mine who frankly, is a 			hack and underbids
me by 60% typically...

			The owner (who took the lower priced guy) said he
wasn't 				comfortable with the design...and wanted me
to look at it.

			Sure enough, our detail sheets were in his set, only
the firm 				name was different!

			The goof didn?t even change the fonts.

			So I call the engineer up...and say "what the ****?"

			His response: "Hey, I got 'em from the architect, so
I could save 			money!"

			I then made ANOTHER call!

David L. Fisher  SE  PE
Senior Principal
Fisher + Partners Structural Engineers inc
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 fax