RE: IBC Special inspection for Slab-on-Grade supporting HVAC unit.

I tend to agree, but I can’t find anything to cite.  There are only four exceptions given in the IBC – Isolated spread footings (under 3 stories), Continuos footings (some requirements), “non-structural slabs supported directly on the ground…” and some foundation walls.

So, my follow-up question – what differentiates a structural slab and a non-structural slab?

From: Arvel L. Williams, P.E. [mailto:awilliams(--nospam--at)gwsquared.com]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 12:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC Special inspection for Slab-on-Grade supporting HVAC unit.

Elias,

Unless the existing building is in a use category that is considered life essential.  Such as a hospital, water plant, etc.

Even then, its a long shot on this type of foundation.  Special Inspection is usually required only on deep foundations, deep fill, some type of structural steel, pre and post tension concrete and a few other items that are "special applications" and all building 3 stories and taller.

So, for your little mat, I would say no.

Arvel