From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: May 28, 2005 12:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: DRAFTING: Structural Drafting Standard

For some reason--perhaps because I've been too long on my own--I am having a difficult time with some of the drafting conventions favored by the drafting staff here at Tyson.

Now, arrowheads and suchlike, I'm not too worried about. But I was "taught"--at least, I think I was--that for structural plans, the text is aligned with the dimension line, and the text rides "above" the dimension line.

Here, they do that thing where the text is in the "middle" of the dimension line, and the line breaks on either side of the text. Also, their text is always horizontal no matter whether it is a "vertical" or "horizontal" dimension.

It drives me nuts. I do a drawing my way, and the drafting folks change it back to the "right way."

I must be getting old.

Thoughts?