RE: E-Files and Clients....

Greetings,
I'd like to give two examples where the architect's sharing his .dwgs aided the project. Both were on plans which were not rectilinear. There are more and more of them these days just because they can be done by computers. 1. A stadium grid layout was correct on our plans (we'd laid it out by the time we got the .dwg from the A/E). We overlaid their on ours and they matched. The GC and surveyor misunderstood a angle and laid it out wrong in the field. By the time it was caught, there were footings that had to be redone. Our part was not held up and we were able to meet our part of the schedule. 2. A building that followed a hillside was laid out carefully and called out well on the architect's drawings, but a schedule that should have matched that layout did not. Again, when we got the got the .dwgs and overlaid them on ours, they matched. So the schedule was incorrect. This would have been caught with the right question during submittal, but it was resolved earlier (always good for maintaining schedule) and actually led to a very good working relationship with the architect. Which is also good for maintaining schedule and the entire project. If you've been burned, I do not blame you for protecting your work. But good can also come from sharing. And you will note that both these examples mostly involve architect's grid plans, not engineer's details.
 Jim Getaz
 Precast Engineer