To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:12 AM
Subject: RE: Connections Designing, General Standards? POLL

In the past, I've typically used the method to design for one-half the
uniform load capacity of the beam at the given span.  For shorter spans
where this can create excessive shears, I prefer to design for the
actual reactions.  But lately I've been thinking that showing a fixed
number of bolts based on the member depth makes more sense, i.e.
determine the maximum number of rows of a given size bolt that the beam
depth can accommodate and use that capacity for design.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311