From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 9:19 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Hiking trail design guides?

I'm looking for ideas on where to turn for design
requirements for walking/hiking path structures at a
scenic park.  There are existing walkways and stairs
that are precariously perched on the sides of steep
inclines and cliffs.  We need to prepare a design plan
with guidelines on how to anchor railings, footings
and elevated structures where they are currently
supported by existing boulders, bedrock, trees, stumps
and sometimes just saplings.

As far as we know, there is no applicable code that
governs this work - only the requirements of the
insurance carrier and our collective piece of mind.

I looked briefly at the national park service and
department of the interior web sites, but didn't see
any publication sections.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA