RE: Fork Truck on elevated slab

I have a copy of the Bulletin. Give me your fax number and I'll send you a copy tomorrow.

Matthew Stuart

________________________________

From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint02(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Mon 5/30/2005 4:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Fork Truck on elevated slab

I am designing an elevated slab with fork truck traffic.  I have a 26 kip front axle load.  Wheels are 36" on center.  The floor framing is intended to be concrete slab on metal deck and steel floor beams.  I have initially laid out a beam spacing of 9ft, 7ft, 9ft, 9ft, 7ft, 9ft, repetitive, etc. pattern.  This was dictated by the machine support layout.  I ran an influence line on the beam spacing using two 13 kip loads spaced 3 ft. apart and came up with a maximum shear of 22.91 kips, positive moment of 31.14 kip ft and negative moment of 44.14 kip ft. for the fork truck only.  I have a reference that states the live load should be increased 30% for impact.  Is this correct?

I'm looking for a good reference for how to distribute this load across the deck to determine the slab thickness.  The same reference noted above refers to a bulletin 80 of Ohio State University Engineering Experiment Station.  It describes how to come up with an effective width of distribution for bending moment but doesn't discuss shear.  Does anyone have the entire bulletin 80 that describes how to do this for shear?

US Deck has a design method in their catalog for concentrated loads on deck.  Their method is different than the bulletin 80.  Their equation comes up with a narrower width for bending.  For shear, using the US Deck method I am coming up with a slab thickness of around 12-13 inches thick.  This was not what I was expecting.

I would appreciate any input form others who have designed elevated floors for fork truck traffic as to an appropriate method of analysis and typical deck thicknesses.  Also, any other helpful information would be appreciated.

Rich

<<winmail.dat>>