Re: IBC Special inspection for Slab-on-Grade supporting HVAC unit.

Gail-

Thanks for the code litany, you made my point.  :)

btw the "slab on air"  illustration is a very good one,
sometimes fewer words create more meaning.

Less is more.  :)

cheers
Bob

On 5/30/05, GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com <GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/27/2005 8:32:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com writes:
> Elias-
>
> Are there no senior engineers with common sense to share at your firm?
> Actually,  I thought the original question was good.  Much better than some
> of the answers,  particularly this one, which was  one of the stupidest I
> have read in a while:
>
> "My main point was that Elias had totally lost sight (if he ever had sight)
> of common sense reality & was way too focused on finding (in the wrong spec)
> something to hang his hat on; the typical refuge of the code monkeys who
> seem to predominate in the CE/SE world."
>

> The question "why is a slab-on-ground not covered in ACI 318" comes up
> repeatedly because no one seems to understand it.  That would certainly be
> supported by the answers given on this list.
>
> Slabs-on-ground are not covered in ACI 318 because they are not considered
> structural concrete.
>
> The question of structural versus nonstructural has nothing to do with a
> "use category that is considered life essential."
>

> The question of structural versus nonstructural  has nothing to do with
> whether the slab is stiffened.
>
> The question of structural versus nonstructural has  nothing to do with
> whether the slab is designed to resist flexure and shear.  Slabs-on-ground
> designed using the PCA, WRI, and COE tables and nomographs are designed to
> resist loads in flexure.    Depending on the loading, it may also be
> necessary to check for shear.
>
> And no where in any code have I found a reference to "air-supported slabs."
>
> Slabs-on-ground are considered nonstructural unless they transmit loads or
> forces from other portions of the structure to the soil.  A slab-on-ground
> would only be considered structural if it supported some portion of the
> structure, such as a mezzanine or the roof.
>
> Slabs-on-ground are specifically excluded from ACI 318 by section 1.1.6:
>
> "1.1.6 — This code does not govern design and construction of soil-supported
> slabs, unless the slab transmits vertical loads or lateral forces from other
> portions of the structure to the soil."
>
> Slabs-on-ground are specifically excluded from ACI 318 because the design
> methodology differs from that of a structural element.  (Not because members
> of ACI Committee 360 decided that was the way it should be.)
>
> Slabs-on-ground were first specifically excluded in 318-95 with the only
> exception being slabs that transmit vertical loads to the soil.  This was
> amended in 318-99 to include slabs that transmit lateral forces.
>
> While much of  ACI 318 can be applied to slabs-on-ground as good practice,
> the requirements have to be specifically stated in the project
> specifications.
>
> Gail Kelley

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿýšvX¬´Pjßá¶Úÿÿü0Ãûj)íþŠàþX¬·ñ(--nospam--at)Cö¬§ÿÓ†+™¨¥Á«,z{m£*.¾&’¶»œ¶êÚ”IàŠwž®ÏÀ²Ê‰«b¢zJ‹­…êç	©b~Šç‰¯Ò’û®÷«ý:ÿ²æìr¸›{ùè}çÿ¢µ'Jæìr¸›{úey«‚‹hÿÿá¶Úÿÿü0Ãûj)íþŠàþÇš–+-×ö¬§ÿйë-Š‰ì¶‹j)íý§ÿ±æ¢žßè®Ñzg¦mêÿj|ž™¨¥Ê‹ÿ±éݶ‹azX¬¶+)¹¹bqÚ&j)Ú?ٚɷ«{úh²×?ÿ­†‹­Ê‹«¥êæŠË"¢ÌjG¬º·²¢ëâ²+hº¼oû"µæ­þm§ÿÿÃÿ±æ¢žßè®ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ