Re: IBC Special inspection for Slab-on-Grade supporting HVAC unit.

In a message dated 5/30/2005 10:59:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com writes:
Thanks for the code litany, you made my point.  :)
I am not exactly sure what your point is.

Reading, understanding, and questioning the code (codes)  is an essential part of being an engineer.  One could have a long and productive career as an engineer without knowing anything about any code but at one's retirement party one might wonder why one had done the same thing for 45 years.  The answer would probably be that nobody trusted one to do anything more than plug numbers into a design program and/or copy standard details onto a set of plans.

However, unfortunately many engineers never do progress to the point where they understand the codes well enough to question them.  And they don't have  time to comment on draft engineering code documents because they are too busy commenting on the level of bureaucracy in schools.

For example,  ACI will be releasing a residential concrete standard (ACI 332) that will be to the IRC what ACI 318 is to the IBC.  How many people on this list bothered to take the time to comment on it?

In my opinion, what ACI put out for public comment was a pretty worthless piece of trash.  I am not sure how much improved the final version will be.  It has not come out yet, even though public comment closed last July.  However, even with significant improvements,  it will still be really bad.  But if you had a chance to improve it, and didn't bother, I don't think you have any grounds for complaining.

btw the "slab on air"  illustration is a very good one, sometimes fewer words create more meaning.
You are entitled to think whatever you want.  Although in my personal opinion, an engineer who refers to an "air-supported slab"  or an "air-supported bridge"  deserves the ridicule they will receive.   If you can't deal with the concepts of "beams" and "columns" you shouldn't be in engineering.

The term "air-supported" could, however,  be used to refer to things like the fabric domes that are used as  enclosures for tennis courts in the winter.

Gail Kelley