From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CONCRETE: Weird Spec Citation?

I came across a reference to "NCHRP 244" in an old concrete spec I'm editing. This wasn't familiar to me so it was to Google I went.

Interestingly, lots of manufacturers of concrete sealers reference "NCHRP 244," leading me to believe that it is used industry-wide, at least, but none of them tell you what it is.

I finally came to the conclusion that it was a reference to a book titled "Concrete Sealers for Protection of Bridge Structures" by Pfeifer and Scali, published in 1981 by the National Cooperative Highway Research Program in association with the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and the National Research Council (ISBN 0309034094).

As old as that document obviously is, and considering that it was apparently published by the taxpayers, I figured I could get a copy of it from SOMEWHERE online. I was wrong. In fact, NO ONE carries it, not even the off-the-beaten-path book resellers that lurk in the dark corners of the 'net.

My questions are:
1) With this not being any sort of official standard, why is it referenced so much by manufacturers of concrete sealers?

2) Are the "tests" mentioned in citing this report now existent in the guise of some ASTM or AASHTO standard?
3) Should I just forget about it and delete the reference since I'm not doing a bridge anyway?
Thanks for your insights.