Re: California P.E. Test Reference Material

Craig,

Dave is right on point.

California is the "odd ball" state when it
comes to PE licenses.  To my knowledge, every state in the US requires 4
years of experience beyond your undergrad degree and only requires an 8
hour PE "level" exam (one of the two NCEES exams...either the Struct I or
the Civil exams).  Some states do require take home exams on things like
the PE law in the state and/or ethics.

Now since Californians like to do their own thing, they also blaze their
own path on the PE license.  They require 2 years of experience beyond
your undergrad degree (assuming you take the "typical" path...there are
others).  In addition, they have two additional exams that they require.
Those exams are the 2.5 hour surveying and the 2.5 hour seismic exam that
David mentioned.

So, yes, they do not have direct reciprosity, but you do not need to
re-take any exams.  You must take the additional exams that they require
that are above and beyond the exam that you took 20 some years ago.  So,
to get your license in California, you will have to fill out the paper
work (which is about as painful as an exam in my opinion), pay the fee,
and then take the two 2.5 hour exams (and I believe David is also correct
that they have a take home exam too).

Now, if you want get your SE license in California, that is a whole other
matter.

Regards,

Scott (someone who is also going through the process)
Adrian, MI