From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fork Truck on elevated slab

Rich:

It is not advisable to use a composite metal deck to support loads from fork trucks. As previously stated, the deck will become debonded from the concrete. We recommend a minimum of a 6" formed slab with top and bottom layers of reinforcing in each direction.

The effective slab width for computing bending will depend upon the contact area of the wheel load. A conservative effective width for bending would be 0.6 times the span, as long as the wheel load is not near a free edge. It is recommended that all edges be supported. Please note that this effective width is only for monolithic concrete slabs.

One very important point that cannot be overlooked, is that the overlapping stresses from adjacent wheel loads must be taken into account. If the the spacing between wheels is less than the effective width as described above, than it should be reduced to 1/2 the wheel spacing plus 0.25 times the span.

If two trucks are able to pass (for example, in an aisleway) than that would further reduce the effective width in a similar way.

It is important that bottom distribution steel (generally more than temperature & shrinkage steel) be provided at right angles to the main steel. It can be calculated similarly to a column footing with concentrated load(s) being spread out to the effective width.

Good Luck!

Jim K.