From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:39 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CONCRETE: "Crazing"

Always interesting to review "in house specs" that have been around since forever, that "Project Engineers" (who, in most facilities management outfits are typically NOT structural or civil engineers) just toss into the bid package without thinking anything about it.

I've run across a term that I've never heard before. It appears to be a description of a physical concrete defect. The contextual sentence reads as follows:

"Surface defects include _crazing_ and cracks in excess of 0.01 inch wide or that penetrate to reinforcement or completely through nonreinforced sections regardless for width, spalling, pop outs, honeycomb, rock pockets, and other objectionable conditions."

Excuse me, but "crazing"? I have never seen that before, nor do I have any idea what it can mean.

Of course, until I got into the world of specifications some years back, I'd never heard the term "laitance" either, so there you go.

Anyone out there know what the heck "crazing" is?