Re: Code knowledge

Just as an aside, I just spent 6 hours yesterday sitting
& writing exams on my code knowledge. My butt is still
numb.  The Ontario government decided that too many
drawings and specification were being submitted with
code errors so they mandated in their wisdom that every-
one submitting drawings for permit approval had to pass
exams on their code knowledge. This includes architects,
engineers, draftsmen(houses & small buildings),
contractors, sewage system contractors and also "building
officials!".  It was an exam on the code rather than your
technical smarts.  I wrote general/legal/process in the
am and strucural in the pm--e.g. a structural question:
what is the minimum lateral load for an interior wall
that acts as a guard around a shaft? ; a legal question:
if a Stop Work Order is issued, when is it effective?
It was all multiple choice with a lot of "trick" questions
so you had to read carefully. I only mention all of this
because of the thread on the codes by Gail & others.
The real purpose of the  government is to download more
responsibility on to the  designers, as they have
mandated we have to have insurance and set minimum
amounts.  Most(designers) of us feel it is over-kill
and highly resent it.  I still have to write large
buildings and maybe complex buildings,e.g. hospitals
Gary