Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:44 AM
Subject: RE: Residential Steel Detail

It's not that I don't like your connection, it's just that I think there might be a little more to the problem than a simple shear connection, even if it is underloaded.  Consider a different style of "shear plate" connection.  It's an "extended shear plate" connection.  At the beam intersection, rather than having a short shear tab and a coped "supported beam," extend that plate out beyond the flange edge of the "supporting beam."  Have the shear plate welded to the top and bottom flange of the supported beam and taper-cut to allow the "supported beam" easy fit and bolt.  Furthermore, provide a stiffener on the opposite side of this beam.  This would avoid the coping on the "supported beam" and allow an easy field assembled connection without having to skew the "supported beam" into place.  As compared to your "top bearing plate" detail, I think fabrication would be a wash, and this appears to be a detail that fabricators around here are quite familiar with.  If you would like a little sketch of this, if the description is confusing you, let me know and I can throw something together pretty quick.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming