Concrete slab on grade - natural cracking

We have a project with a wood gymnasium floor on sleepers.  We have specified control joints in the slab (both sawcut and formed keyed joints).  The contractor is telling us that he would prefer to not put the sawcut control joints in and just leave the slab crack wherever it needs to crack.  His reasoning (besides saving the cost of sawcutting) is that he has had bad experiences with curling at the sawcuts that have needed to be ground down.  Apparently when the slab just cracks wherever it wants to, the aggregate keeps it from curling.  I have not heard this argument before, but I can see the logic in it.  I know that this would be a problem where reflective cracking might be a concern (such as a tile floor), but since there are wood sleepers and then a wood floor above that, I wonder if he is correct.  This may be a case where less work is better.  He claims that many large slabs (like K-Mart or Wal-Mart type buildings) are being done this way today.

I look forward to reading the collective wisdom on this topic.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
LVTA