RE: IBC 2003: Section 1603 - Construction Documents

Title: IBC 2003: Section 1603 - Construction Documents

From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC 2003: Section 1603 - Construction Documents

Good luck Bill 'n tell us what you ultimately do.

Bob Garner, S.E.

Yeah, this is more of an "is this a Catch-22?" sort of question. It's not that I have any doubts about how PRACTICALLY this is supposed to go. I'm just wondering if the "letter of the Law" is being violated--or if we ought to change the law?

This is really an Architectural drawing, showing the general requirements for the building we want the Contractor to buy and furnish to us. I'm not going to send this thing out to the contractor with any sizes on it. But in so doing, I may be violating the Code.

I dunno. Maybe the idea that "it's not a structural drawing" is the way to go--but then I want to put the same sort of structural information on it that Section 1603.1 (Exception) is calling for.

This is an example about how, no matter to what extent the code-writers try to be "precise," they're never going to get it perfectly right. They've been at it for a couple of generations now, and still not let-up in the "questions for clarification."