RE: Fork Truck on elevated slab

Which AASHTO specification would this be?  The closest I could find was section 3.24.2.  There, for shear they make a blanket statement in 3.24.4 that if the moment design works, so does the shear.  I couldn’t figure that out.  I am referencing 16th edition, 1996 of the bridge standard.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fork Truck on elevated slab

From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint02(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

They treat effective width differently for shear and bending.  The effective width is based on how far away from the support the load is placed.

This is consistent with both the AASHTO code specification (at least for "effective width being different for shear and moment") and my own FEA from times past.