Offensive language WIND: Building Classification "Enclosed," "Partially Enclosed," "Open"

Title: WIND: Building Classification "Enclosed," "Partially Enclosed," "Open"

Yet another example of how the "clarity" of the modern building code standards is still "not there," at least in one person's opinion.

I have this "shed" that I've mentioned here before in another context. It's just a PEMB, about 42' x 64' footprint. I call it a "shed" because it is "mostly open" all around. Just looking at the thing I assumed it would be classified "Open" under ASCE 7-02 Sec. 6.2.

I Ass-U-Me-d wrong!

My calculations show that it is NOT "open" enough to be actually classified "open" under the standard. So of course it must be "partially enclosed," right?

Wrong again, Kemosabe!

"Partially Enclosed" really appears to be a category reserved for a building that has one wall that would normally meet the "Open" classification, but the rest of the walls have far smaller openings.

So guess what? This shed, with the huge openings around all four sides, is classified by ASCE 7 as "Enclosed"!