RE: Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening ConcreteStructures

"I think a lot of research is being done at UM-R to try to improve the confidence in the adhesive performance so that "debonding" and "delamination" are not as likely."

I have been told that the concern is not only debonding due to some material or substrate problem, but also due to fire, vandalism, accidents, neglect, and abuse.  Since the FRP is external and the bond is not tremendously impact resistant, it doesn't have the built-in protection that things like rebar have.  Like Sherman, I was once "turned away" when I needed to add a little more strength than the limit would allow to a beam.  I think on that one shear and moment were a little bit over the limit due to a combination of corrosion and questionable construction leading me to discount much of what was there.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE