Re: Precast vs Poured

New courthouse?  Sounds like there will be terrorism /
force protection design requirements.  The precast
connections might have a difficult time transferring
the loads from deflagration/blast and perhaps the loss
of a column.

Just something to think about.

Paul B.
Phoenix, AZ

--- Will Haynes <gtg740p(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
An architect asked me the other day whether I would
prefer to use precast or poured in place concrete for
a new courthouse he is looking at.  I am trying to get
a list of advantages and disadvantages of each system
.

He is looking at the building being made of precast
floors and facade, poured floors with precast facade,
or poured floors with brick facade. Of course money is
the most important factor for this project. It will be
about 50,000 sq ft, involving 2 to 3 stories.

>From what I know, the precast will be cheaper and it
will go up a lot faster. But there will be less
flexibility for penetrations. I would rather do the
poured concrete (whether reinforced or post tensioned)
because of the design involved. But of course I can't
recommend it based on just that. I was hoping one of
you had recently done a similar size and function
building and could give some advice either way, (not
just which system will be the cheapest even though
that is the most important aspect).

Thanks