Re: Health Insurance for Engineers

Dennis,

The reason that this does not happen is that I believe it cannot under
current law/regulations.  I don't know it there is anything actively
preventing it per se (i.e. such as it being against the law), but rather
nothing forcing it to happen.  As a result, insurance companies only treat
employees of a company as a group.

There have been efforts in Congress I believe and I believe suggested by
Bush to put such a change into effect (i.e. let small groups of
like-minded people/professionals or groups of small companies band
together to negotiate group health insurance plans at better prices).  I
don't know where it stands right now.

The end result is that there is health insurance available through
professional groups (ASCE and NSPE have plans that they have negotiated),
but they are NOT group plans.  So, if you have pre-existing conditions,
then these plans won't work for you.  And even if it will work for you, it
is techinically an individual plan that was just "negotiated" by an
organization for their members.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI