From: BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent
:
Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Poured in Place Slab vs. Raised Floor

So now Developer Kevin is looking for free advice.  That's even cheaper than what he was looking for before!

Regards,

Bill Cain, SE

Berkeley CA

In a message dated 6/5/2005 2:49:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, KevinPolin(--nospam--at)Cyberonic.com writes:

Group,

I have a LOT and the geologist gave us a soil bearing capacity of 5000 psi for the conventional footings, this is in southern California, Eagle Rock Area.

One of the structural engineers that I spoke with asked me if I wanted to use a poured slab on grade or a raised floor. I told him a poured slab on grade. I assume that in the case of a high seismic area or an earthquake, a reinforced poured slab would provide better protection than raised floor; this is because of the poured slabs monolithic nature.

The footing would be supporting a concrete ICF house.

Can someone give me their professional opinion on this?

Thanks

Kevin

Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA