RE: LEED Certified

Title: Message

From: David Adie [mailto:DavidA(--nospam--at)cplinc.com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:01 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: LEED Certified

 the reason i took the test is that here in seattle, green is king.  i wanted to be able to speak and understand the language.

I would love to know your take on this "phenomenon." It sounds like another manifestation of the typical "business paradigm invasion" (note that I don't say "shift") that occurs once a generation or so.

In the 1980s-early 90s it was "Quality Based Management" and its siblings (TQM, Quality Circles, etc.) All based on the notion that only the Japanese understood how to "do things" cooperatively. Just as it got going good (and "Quality trainers" began to make big bucks putting on their various seminars), the wheels came of the Japanese economy, and it soon became obvious to even the most blinkered CEO that the emperor had no clothes.

In the late 90s it appeared to be superseded by "Six Sigma," which if anything had an even more impressive (read "hip") assortment of nomenclatures and acronyms. "Six Sigma Black Belt" was one of my favorites.

"Six Sigma" seems to still be ongoing--although I haven't really seen it catch on generally the way "QBM" did at least in the engineer-for-construction sector.

Now I see "LEED" everywhere. It's not only "hip" but excruciatingly "politically correct" because it gets corporate buy-in for some of the most cherished myths of the Left.

If I need it, I'll get it. I can be as cynical as the next guy (I used to also participate in "Quality groups." It got me a free lunch twice a month).