Re: Was Health Insurance for Engineers - Now incorporation

Jordon:

You indicated that your are a one-man team and are incorporated.  It is my understanding that because you are a one man team, the protection from loss of personal property generally provided by incorporating is not avaialable for a one-man team.  Could you shed some light on the benefits of incorporating.

Gautam

>>> chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com 06/05/05 11:34AM >>>

On Jun 5, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> The money you put into HSA is pre-tax (like a 401k).
All my health insurance expenses are pre-tax, since I'm incorporated.
The corp picks up everything. It works for me because I have no other
employees, and don't consider having any. It's probably fair to mention
that my health insurance began as group insurance in my last direct
job. I got COBRA'ed into it when I got laid off. Since my wife had a
couple of pre-existing things, we didn't have much leeway about getting
into another plan. Up to the cardiac arrest, I didn't have any problems
either, since I tended to take pretty good care of myself. The gall
bladder thing was also unexpected, and had some complications.

My point is that there's a big difference between the day to day
stuff--dental, co-pays for flu prescriptions or stitches after bike
mishaps and major illness. You can get well up into 5 figures in no
time at all for acute care. I don't think you can fight off cancer or
MS for 3 years without taking an absolutely devastating hit. And don't
get me started on prescription drugs*
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/