Re: LEED Certified

Title: Message
Throw on a green roof, some recycled floor surfacing, bump your insulation, and use one of various techniques for peak-shaving in your cooling system, and you've got basics of the program.

Seriously, though, it does seem a bit like a fad - made "valuable" by a certification and guilty corporations/governments looking to make an environmental statement.  I participate in value engineering workshops for various organizations, and LEED usually comes up at some point in the conversation.  Some owners want it, even if its just a recognition that they are building a efficient (in terms of energy and sustainability) building/campus, rather than an actual life cycle cost savings.

$400 seems cheap for the cert if it doenst' have any post-exam strings attached (is there an annual renewal?), though for a structural engineer it seems to be mostly window dressing.

When thinking of all the certifications and licenses we seem to need/use, I'm reminded of a Dave Barry (humor columnist) suggestion for a new tax based on the number of letters placed before or after your name - each letter is an additional fee.  The intent was not to raise any more revenue, but in hopes of curtailing the mish-mash alphabet behind everyones name these days.

Bill Polhemus wrote

I would love to know your take on this "phenomenon." It sounds like another manifestation of the typical "business paradigm invasion" (note that I don't say "shift") that occurs once a generation or so.

In the 1980s-early 90s it was "Quality Based Management" and its siblings (TQM, Quality Circles, etc.) All based on the notion that only the Japanese understood how to "do things" cooperatively. Just as it got going good (and "Quality trainers" began to make big bucks putting on their various seminars), the wheels came of the Japanese economy, and it soon became obvious to even the most blinkered CEO that the emperor had no clothes.

In the late 90s it appeared to be superseded by "Six Sigma," which if anything had an even more impressive (read "hip") assortment of nomenclatures and acronyms. "Six Sigma Black Belt" was one of my favorites.

"Six Sigma" seems to still be ongoing--although I haven't really seen it catch on generally the way "QBM" did at least in the engineer-for-construction sector.

Now I see "LEED" everywhere. It's not only "hip" but excruciatingly "politically correct" because it gets corporate buy-in for some of the most cherished myths of the Left.

If I need it, I'll get it. I can be as cynical as the next guy (I used to also participate in "Quality groups." It got me a free lunch twice a month).