Re: SLIGHTLY O.T. (Architectural) - Seal Detail for Metal Building Abutting Existing Structure

Bill-

I'm not sure I understand your proposed building, tank, pump
arrangement but it seems like your customer wants the "stuff" in or
protected by the building but doesn't want the tank "in" the building
but they want it close.

Do I have your situation understood?

For them to get the best building for their use & their money they
need to have their ME discuss the equipment, piping & tank ssues with
you so the two of you can bouce ideas off each other.

To design the building around but not around the equipment is going to
lead to a frustrating experience for you  and a sub-optimal result for
them.

Working together you can achieve the most cost effective /  workable solution.

Your situation is kinda like them saying ?

"I want a garage for my truck but only the cab has to kept out of the
weather but the door / wall still has to seal around the rest of the
truck so the weather cannot get into the garage Also any seal can only
mpart minimal loads to the truck"

The systems are too coupled at this point, they're needs to be some
adjsutments made.

Perhaps they're failing to see how their ME layout is greatly
increasing the SE complexity.

The tank is pretty big;

50' x 10' high or 30' dia x 30'  (my calcs might be wrong, using the
PC calculator; my HP is  ???)

so putting it in the building is pretty much out of the question,

If the tank is short you could have the roof line of the building go
over it and "seal" (not really) with some sort of draped material; the
partial intersection of a rectangle and a cylinder.

Freezers have doors but also split curtains, they're talking about
"leaving the door open"  all the time, a less than great idea?

How about some heated / insulated / buried piping & the pump in the building?
How about a small  heated / insulated  pump house?

Shelteriing the pump & piping with the shed (how big is it?) may seem
a cute idea to the plant folks but if it requires a whole lot of
tricky stuff for you & the builder than it's not.

cheers
Bob

If you