STEEL: Galvanizing of High-Strength Bolting

Title: STEEL: Galvanizing of High-Strength Bolting

Years ago the claim arose that mechanical galvanizing of A325 bolts was the only acceptable method, that hot-dip galvanizing tended to cause problems with (er, "grain growth?" or something?).

This may be why there are no longer A325 Type 2 bolts, I dunno.

What is the current thinking? I haven't thought about this for some time, and in typical structural engineery fashion I just keep putting "mechanical galvanizing only" on the drawings and specs.

I'd like to know what you all are doing.