Re: STEEL: Galvanizing of High-Strength Bolting

Charley,

Twist Off Bolts are generally manufactured to ASTM 1852 and the material is generally A325.  I say generally because you can also get A490 twist off bolts.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Charley Hamilton <chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu>

06/07/2005 08:59 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: STEEL: Galvanizing of High-Strength Bolting

> Note also that A325 twist off bolts may only be mechanically galvanized in order to maintain consistency in the torque values to twist off the spline.

Thomas,

I thought twist-offs were covered by a spec other than A325.
That is, the material strength may be the same, but
twist-offs are covered by F1852.  I'm not familiar with
F1852.  Is the material chemistry the same?

I'm not arguing with the mechanical galvanizing comment.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR and Lecturer
Department of Civil and                 Phone: 949.824.3752

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org