More confusion with concrete

So, I come again to this list with a question stemming primarily from ACI 318.

I’m “designing” some anchor bolts, and I’m confused about the formula for concrete breakout strength of anchor bolts.  Specifically about Av/Avo.  Because Avo is a function of 1.5*c1, and Av is a function of 1.5*c1, c2, and h – it seems like the larger c1 gets, the smaller Av/Avo gets, which seems counter-intuitive.

The reason it gets so small is because as c1 gets large, 1.5*c1 will be much larger than h and c2, so that Av becomes much smaller than Avo.

My confusion is why is Avo a function of c1 if it supposed to approximate the “surface area of full breakout prism… unaffected by edge distance”?

Thank you,

Elias Hahn

Evergreen Engineering, LLC

phone 503.502.0698