Re: More confusion with concrete

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Elias: Read "Shear Towards a Free Edge". Concrete International, March 2004. I don't know how long I have been asking this list to look at this issue. Only response has been "everything is okay". This comes from a 2000 code. It is now 2005. I wonder if the list stayed away from this because it required some original thinking instead of just code regurgitation.

Jack Shapton

Elias Hahn wrote:

So, I come again to this list with a question stemming primarily from ACI 318.

I’m “designing” some anchor bolts, and I’m confused about the formula for concrete breakout strength of anchor bolts. Specifically about Av/Avo. Because Avo is a function of 1.5*c1, and Av is a function of 1.5*c1, c2, and h – it seems like the larger c1 gets, the smaller Av/Avo gets, which seems counter-intuitive.

The reason it gets so small is because as c1 gets large, 1.5*c1 will be much larger than h and c2, so that Av becomes much smaller than Avo.

My confusion is why is Avo a function of c1 if it supposed to approximate the “surface area of full breakout prism… unaffected by edge distance”?

Thank you,

Elias Hahn

Evergreen Engineering, LLC

phone 503.502.0698