From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 3:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: More confusion with concrete

Elias,

Yes...you are correct in what you wrote below...but your are forgeting
that there is another c1 in the overall equation for the shear breakout
strength.  Remember the overall breakout strength is Av/Av0*(a bunch of
factors depending on either single anchor or group of anchors)*Vb.  The
key is that Vb is a function of c1^1.5.

So, your case of the long beam in the "big" c1 direction...Av will be
(c2+c2)*h (unless you want to consider a REALLY deep beam such that
h>1.5c1). and Av0 will be 4.5*c1^2.  Thus, Av/Av0 will nominally be 1/c1^2
if you consider c2 and h to be negligble compared to c1.  But then Vb is
some value*c1^1.5.  So, in fact, you end up with Vcb being proportional to
1/c1^.5.  Now, keep in mind that you have some "constant"/value there as
well, so it is not just 1/c1^.5 but rather a/c1^.5.  And then beyond that
section (c) of D.6.2.1 states: "for shear force parallel to an edge, Vcb
or Vcbg shall be permitted to be twice the value for shear force
determined from Eq. (D-20) or (D-21), repectively, with psi6 taken equal
to 1"...and your "big" c1 direction is such a case.  Thus, the end result
is that I am willing to bet in most cases the Vcb of the "big" c1
direction will still be bigger than the Vcb of the "small" c1 direction.

Let's do an example with some numbers.  Say it is a 24"x42" concrete beam
that spans 24 ft.  Put a 1" dia. anchor in the middle of the beam with an
embedment of say 24".  OK.

For the "big" c1 case: c1 is 144".  c2 is 12".  h is 42".  d0 is 1".
l is 8*d0 or 8".  Let's make f'c equal to 3000 psi.  psi7 will be the same
for either case.  psi6 will be 1.  So, Av will be (c2+c2)*h or 1008 sq in.
Av0 will be 4.5c1^2 or 93312 sq in.  So, Av/Av0 is .0108.  Vb is
7*(l/d0)^0.2*d0^0.5*f'c^0.5*c1^1.5 or 1004200.4 lbs.  So, Vcb will be
10845.4 lbs (assuming psi7 is 1.0), but section (C) let's us double that
to 21690.7 lbs.

For the "small" c1 case: c1 is 12".  c2 is 144".  h is 42".  d0 is 1".  l
is 8".  Using f'c of 3000 psi again.  psi6 will be 0.7.  So, Av will be
1.5*c1*(1.5*c1+1.5*c1) or 4.5c1^2.  Av0 will be 4.5*c1^2.  So, Av/Av0 will
be 1.  Vb will be 24157.3 lbs.  Vcb will end up being 16910.1 lbs (again
assuming that psi7 is 1.0).

Thus, here you have a situation that you describe in basics terms but this
time with some specific numbers.  You can see that the "big" c1 direction
does produce a higher breakout condition than the "small" c1 direction.

Now, one could argue that this may still not fit the intuitive sense,
which for me would want to say that the "big" c1 direction should be
SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the "small" c1 direction is such a case and
while it is bigger, I would say not "big enough" to match the intuitive
feel...and I would agree with this arguement.  But, from a structural
point of view in checking the anchor, while it might not be completely
accurate, it does produce the expected result of the "small" c1 direction
being the "weak link".

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Elias Hahn wrote:

> Agreed, the problem I have with formulas is that if you increase c1 until
it
> is "big" (ie, 1.5c1 is greater than c2 and/or h), Av/Avo gets small. (or
> conversely, have a thin slab, or a corner condition where c1 is roughly
> equal to c2.)
>
> Ok, now my long hypothetical - feel free to not read:
> The problem in my mind is if you take a long beam, and put an anchor in
it,
> and look at the calculated strength of that anchor (side-face blow out) in
> both directions.  Now, in one direction, c1 is "big", much bigger than
> either c2 or h, while in the other direction c1 is "small."  Now on the
case
> were c1 is "big" Avo is great, but Av is small, (assume c2 and h are
> negligible in that direction, Av/Avo tends to 1/(3*c1), which makes the
> overall equation roughly (a number less than one)*(Square root(c1)).  Now
if
> you look at the other direction, were Av/Avo tends to one, you now end up
> with an overall equation of (a number greater than one)*(c2)^1.5)).  It is
> easy to see that the direction without much edge distance could have a
> larger concrete side-face blow out strength...

ACI