STEEL: Min. Required Thickness for Anchor Rod Plate Washers

Title: Message

I emailed a similar technical question to AISC’s help desk, and I got some good information.  It said that a general rule for base plates that weren’t unusually loaded, plate washer thickness should be the following for different grades of bolts.

36 ksi = 1/3*bolt diameter

55 ksi = 0.4*bolt diameter

105 ksi = 0.7*bolt diameter

And, of course, if you had special or high shears, you should always design for the specific forces.

Hope this helps,

Andy Heigley, PE

Jezerinac Geers & Associates

Dublin, OHIO