	From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
	Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 11:32 AM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Re: dynamic analysis - pushover analysis? - information
resources?

	Refugio,

	Non-Linear Static Procedures (pushover) are used frequently for
the seismic analysis and retrofit of existing buildings.  You can find
all the information you need in FEMA 273, 274, 356, 440 and ATC 40.

	Thomas Hunt, S.E.
	ABS Consulting

	refugio rochin <fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
		Subject
		dynamic analysis - pushover analysis? - information
resources?

	Chris Wright wrote:
	"Two different things. The pushover analysis is non-linear
quasi-static,
	so the dynamic loading characteristics have to be fudged into
the
	applied loading. Ordinary linear dynamics doesn't apply to
non-linear
	behavior, except with some fudging on the spectra.

	"You can do a dynamic pushover analysis using time-history
methods, but
	it's a huge pain in the ass and has a whole litany of
approximations of
	its own, not the least of which is getting a realistic but
practicable
	load set. You can generate a synthetic earthquake record from a
	response spectrum, but it's not a very satisfactory process, and
only a
	statistical artifice."

	I believe pushover analysis is recommended for performance based
design.
	I know that Caltrans uses such analyses (i.e. W-Frame) to work
towards design.
	Is there any further information, any resources on the origin of
using pushover
	analyses for design that someone can recommend?

	Curious:  What other fields use such pushover analysis besides
designing
	of civil structures?