Re: Hillside Engineering Design Reference Books

“Hillside Building Design and Construction” by Arthur H. Levin, published by Builder’s Book, Inc., 800-273-7375.

I bought the 2nd edition (1999) a couple of years ago but wasn't all that impressed with it.  It may be a good introduction to the topic, and certainly has a lot of simple sketches of various schemes, but also has some failings, IMHO.  Such as stepped shear walls (Fig. 116) with only a minor word of caution about their use (since outlawed in L.A. I understand), and showing the top of joists notched down to form cantilevered decks (Fig. 126).

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA