From: David Fisher [mailto:dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Lt wt. conc topping for exterior decks

Gerard:

I always thought that lightweight concrete was never to be left exposed
the
Elements, ever.

My suggestion is the following:

Can the framing be changed to metal, either WF beams and composite deck
or
Metal stud joists supporting a form deck?

This will add durability to the system and help with shrinkage...

If so, I would change the concrete to normal weight and apply a
waterproofing membrane suitable for pedestrian traffic to the surface to
protect the concrete.

http://www.dex-o-tex.com/index.php?href=products&query=1070

If this terrace is over occupied space, you will want to install rigid
insulation
And a topping slab to prevent condensation of the deck below.

And yes, use WWF or bar in lieu of fibermesh.

David L. Fisher  SE  PE
Senior Principal
Fisher + Partners Structural Engineers inc
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 fax