Design of Curved Steel Beams

I have a copy of the USS Steel Design Manual, which is my favorite
torsion design reference.  The copy I have was printed in May 1974; I
believe there are newer editions, but I doubt it's still in print.

I also have a copy of an AISC Engineering Journal article by Philip Lin
dated 3rd Quarter 1977, which looks useful but which I have not used in
detail.

I agree with Bill's generalization--bridge designers can put in cross
frames which will eat the torsion and convert it to vertical loads at
the adjacent beams; USS (I think) had a design method called V-Load
Analysis which calculated this.  But often, curved beams are on their
own in a building.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota

--
29                               Message:0029
29