Residential stoops bolted to foundation walls

Contractors in this area (northeast PA) tend to bolt
their precast steps to the side of residential
foundation walls prior to backfilling.  The steps are
made with drop down legs to push against the
foundation wall.

Aside from the fact that this is a hideous detail in
my opinion, is this commonly accepted?  I recall
hearing somewhere that this is no longer acceptable
and that stoops must now be independently supported on
frost footings.  Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA